When Public Health England was informed of 21 cases of salmonella caused by a local well-known carvery restaurant in the East Midlands, it discovered a nasty case of plumbing in the kitchen.
Inspection of the drainage system identified significant issues, including failed traps (U-bends) letting foul air flow from the drainage system into the building. Not what you want when tucking into your roast beef!
Further investigations revealed a number of ineffective drain seals, potentially allowing contaminated bioaerosols to be disseminated into the kitchen.
One sink drain was not connected to any drainage system with waste water pooling under the floor, and other drains had failed after leaking waste water washed away the supporting substrate, forming a cavity under the kitchen area.
The outbreak ended after the drains were repaired and the building was refurbished.
Picture credit: iStock
“Neighbours should be there for one another, that’s when good neighbours become good friends,” goes the theme tune from the enduring Aussie soap opera.
How to breathe, when to eat and knowing when we need the loo
A real-life swamp monster is caught on home video footage emerging from a toilet and into a family’s bathroom in Malaysia.